Saturday, October 20, 2007

Judging a book by its title

Out of all the articles and snippets of actual novels that we read, the one that stood out most to me was Lost in Translation by Eva Hoffman. I really liked stories she provided to us- granted, I did read this one a lot more thoroughly than I did the others, but I still felt that the personal ways in which she told the stories gave her more credit as a writer as well as allowed the reader to comprehend as much as possible. Hoffman talked a lot about language- obviously, since her title was a derivative of it, I knew that language for her, particularly, the english language would be a big deal. Her command of the english language, both through using it and contextualizing it, was her greatest weakness. I feel like she grew to have such a spectacular command both of the language and expressing herself through it, from almost nothing was her greatest goal- and that in singularly focusing on such a goal allowed her to write such a novel. Through assimilating, there are many aspects of the culture that one has to get used to, but by focusing in on her acquisition of language, Hoffman masters it. I loved the parallel in the relationship in her discussion not being able to master the english language, to completely owning the language and making the reader understand in the final accounts.

No comments: